Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Two Weeks Later......


Two weeks later I am still in shock, I still think that I will wake up and it will all be over. I know that is completely ridiculous, and that it won't ever happen, but there is just one spot in my brain that still thinks this has been a really bad dream.
We had the services the Saturday after the accident, and they couldn't have been more"Daddy". It was upbeat and a true celebration of his life. Chris gave a beautiful eulogy, and Gallen, and Bill both gave wonderful talks. There were lots of stories told about Daddy and his antics over the years, and how proud he was to cause trouble. He was definitely a person who loved every minute of his life. Gallen read this poem and Bill actually had planned to read it also, and it describes Daddy's life perfectly.

The Dash
I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on her tombstone from the beginning to the end.
He noted that first came the date of her birth and spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time that she spent alive on earth...
And now only those who loved her know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own; the cars .... the house... the cash.
What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard ... are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left. (You could be at "dash mid-range")

If we could just slow down enough to consider what's true and real,
And always try to understand the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger, and show appreciation more,
And love the people in our lives like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile...
Remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy's being read with your life's actions to rehash...
Would you be proud of the things they say about how you spend your dash??
By: Linda Ellis

I can say without a doubt my father lived his "dash" to his fullest. He left this world with no regrets. He did so much for everyone around him, he is a very selfless man, and it showed at this service. There were so many who traveled to be there, and support us, and show Dad how much they love him, and how much they care for my mom.
The burial was peaceful, and the weather was perfect. The National Guard did a beautiful job. Daddy was very patriotic, and loved his country, and he deserved that tribute.
And the ward held a beautiful luncheon for all of the close family and friends. Pacific brought some giant prawns, because my dad had an amazing love for seafood, well for food all together, and everyone will remember him for that.

I know that the rest of my life will be harder without him in it. I don't know who to call if I need someone to be brutally honest with me. He was that person, it didn't matter what it was about, he would tell me how it was, and I knew whatever was said was out of pure love, and was because he cared about me, and wanted what was best for me and my family.
I know he will be here for me still, and I still talk to him like he is in the same room with me. Kinda weird, but I feel like I can unload on him and know that he won't judge me.
I know we are given trials because that is what this life is all about, but this one I still can't seem to wrap my head around it. I am not angry, my faith isn't wavering, I feel closer to Heavenly Father than I ever have, but I still just can't believe it.
And to top it off Grandpa Adams had a stroke yesterday. I knew that the day of his passing was coming soon, but I didn't think we were this close. As of now he is still here, not able to speak, and very weak and tired. I hate to see him like this, he has always been such a strong and independent man. I hate to think about how I am going to have to tell my kids that he is gone too. McKay asked me today why 2 Grandpas have to die. Really??? What do you tell a three year old? I just hope they realize that they will be okay, we all will, it will just take time. We just have to hold on to the knowledge of the plan of salvation, and pray every day for strength to get through the next.
All I can do is pray.........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kace, first of all, you look a lot like your daddy! he is a handsome man. And secondly, I wish I would have gotten to meet him, I think we would have been friends! I love you and am always praying for you and your family. big hugs!

Jordans Jaunt said...

Kacey I'm sorry that you all have to go through this. It is a huge trial. Please know that I am here if you need anything.

The Praters said...

I love you Kacey.

Erin Terry said...

After 16 years I still talk to my mom too Kacey. There is absolutely nothing weird about that. Time will heal your heart, I promise you that. I am always here for you.

campblondie said...

Kacey,
I really can't believe what I just read. I am so sorry. We just lost Dave's dad a few weeks ago and wrapping your head around is such a tough thing. I remember everytime I would come in your house being greeted in some when your dad, usually it was pretty hilarious. He was a good man. I'm so sorry.