Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas has started.....


Even without my mom here, Christmas has begun. Now that Thanksgiving is over, I can get started on the real fun. I love Christmas!!!! It is great, and this year, we are trying to get back to the basics. I got these two trees three years ago at a wonderful sale Target had, and I spent a good $5.oo on both! Yeah it was a great sale. But anywho, we decided to "make due with what we have". The one tree looked homely in front of our huge window, so I decided to make a winter wonderland. I even went and found some old batting in my craft closet to make snow. All in all I saved about $50, that would be the cost of the real tree we usually get. So yes we are missing the smell of the real tree, the height of the real tree, and the fun of picking out the perfect one. BUT we are being good and having a much less expensive Christmas.
In my family we have decided that we need to use our talents and make our gifts to each other. I have Meg and Dean, and I am excited to get started on their gifts. We are also making the gifts for the nieces and nephews on the White side. I even got the boys big ticket items on Black Friday, for under $40 each. I was real pleased with that!!!
So now all I have to do is get my kids into the true spirit of Christmas. Any suggestions on how to do that would be fantastic.
Well Merry Christmas!!!

10 comments:

Kara Benson said...

What a cute little winter wonderland!

Unknown said...

Hey KAc. Totally love the winter wonderland. It is darling! And sounds like Christmas around your house is off to a good start. :)

Sarah said...

My friend is having a homemade Christmas. The kids are making gifts for each other (even the little ones) and she says they are all loving it! I think it's a great idea and it teaches your kids about serving each other.

I think you'll see that the least expensive Christmases will be your most memorable as a family if you let them!

April Leydsman Mason said...

Great idea. This will definitely be a memorable Christmas for you guys.

Erin said...

Hey, I have a great idea for you to still have the smell of the tree! We always travel for the holidays so a few years back Jeff and I decided to get a fake tree so we weren't always worried if the house was burnt down when we got back. We spent ALOT of money on the tree but if you average how many years you use it, it ends up being cheap! Anyways, call Mandi, get the scentsy spray "Christmas tree" and spray it on the tree. The scent absorbs into the fake tree and you have a house that smells like Christmas!! I love it!

Miriam H said...

I love your winter wonderland, and your whole attitude about Christmas. YOur blog really gets me in the x-mas Spirit! Lets hang out soon! I'm missin my girls.

Richins Family said...

Very cute winter wonderland. I totally love it. I need to get more in the spirit of Xmas but it is kind of hard when you know that you won't be putting up a tree until about 5 days before. I agree with Mir we really need to hang out! Thanks for chatting this morning Ive missed you. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your winter wonderland, it turned out so cute! I knew it would you are so creative. Our family is drawing names and putting a limit on the amount too. I guess it's just better that we all get back to the basics. Thanks for the reminder. I can't wait to see your winter wonderland in person. I agree let's hang out!

Marleen said...

Looks great. We usually get a real tree every other year. I don't mind the fake trees. I love how creative you are with what you had. Great job.

Ann said...

I'm lovin the winter wonderland, too, and my kids would totally dig that train! One thing my kids love to do at Christmas time is to doorbell ditch poeple and leave a treat behind. Two years ago, we chose a family and did the 12 days of Christmas for them and each night we left them some kind of Christmas activity that they could do as a family. Anway, it seems like all boys love things where you are undercover.